The Oyo state governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde has given details on the Friday night’s jailbreak at the Abolongo Correctional Centre in Oyo State.
According to the governor, at least two security operatives lost their lives during the attack.
Makinde disclosed this in a state broadcast he delivered while addressing Journalists.
It was gathered that no fewer than 837 inmates were said to have escaped after heavily-armed men attacked the correctional center with explosives.
Spokesperson for the Nigeria Correctional Service, Oyo State command, Olanrewaju Anjorin had announced earlier that 262 out of the 836 escaped inmates had been recaptured.
Speaking on the development, Governor Makinde said a corporal of the Nigerian Army attached to Operation Burst and an operative of the Oyo State Amotekun Corps, Tijani Sadiq Babatunde, were killed while responding to the attack.
“Aside from the two lives lost, we had several operatives injured. I must mention that one of our Amotekun female volunteers, Shukurat Omoba, is presently in critical condition.
“I have visited her at the hospital, and we are deploying all state resources to ensure that she survives this. Please, let us all join in prayer for her speedy and complete recovery,” he said.
The governor added that, “Although some inmates have been recovered and taken back into custody, some are still at large. All security agencies have been placed on high alert to ensure that all that escaped are rearrested and returned to custody.”
Makinde urged residents of the state to be on alert and report any suspicious activity to the relevant security agencies.
He said, “These criminals would want to go to areas where they will not be easily rearrested. If you spot any unexplained strangers in your community, please call the 615-security emergency number immediately, and make a report.
“I have directed the security agencies to deploy personnel to critical national assets within the state and to monitor all entrance and exit points across the state.
“I appeal to you, the good people of Oyo State, to remain calm. We are aware of the various speculations going round especially on social media regarding the reason for this attack. I urge you all to disregard any such rumours as the authorities are still investigating the matter.”
Earlier, the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, urged the inmates who escaped from the correctional center to turn themselves in.
Aregbesola noted that men of the Nigeria Correctional Service and other security agencies had engaged the assailants in a gun duel for about 20 minutes before they were overpowered.
“The attackers subsequently used grenades and other explosives to gain access into the awaiting trial section of the facility and set free many of the awaiting trial inmates. Other sections of the facilities were left untouched,” read a statement issued by his media adviser, Sola Fasure.