The authority of micro blogging site, Twitter has reacted to a report that it has reached agreement with the Nigerian government to lift ban on Twitter activities in the country soon.
DAILY GIST reports that the federal government had on Wednesday disclosed that it would soon lift the ban on the micro-blogging site after reaching agreement with Twitter management.
The disclosure was made known by the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed while briefing Journalists shortly after the weekly Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting in Abuja.
Mohammed stated that the government negotiation with the micro-blogging platform is at an advanced stage already, saying most of the conditions given to the platform have been accepted.
The minister stressed that the ban would soon be lifted as Twitter has shown readiness to abide by its laid down rules, one of which is the establishment of an office in Nigeria.
But Twitter in an statement while reacting to the federal government claim said no deal had been agreed with the Nigerian government yet as talks were still ongoing.
In the statement, Twitter said; We recently met with the Nigerian government to discuss why Twitter has been blocked and ways to resolve the matter.”
“Our aim is to chart a path forward to the restoration of Twitter for everyone in Nigeria.
“We look forward to ongoing discussions with the Nigerian government and seeing the service restored very soon.”
The ban on Twitter in Nigeria has been widely condemned by civil societies, activists and some media organisations with many of them dragging the federal government before courts.
DAILY GIST had reported that the federal government announced the suspension of Twitter’s operations indefinitely in the country.
This was contained in a statement signed on Friday by the Minister of Information and Culture, Lai Mohammed and made available to Journalists.
President Buhari had said those misbehaving by attacking police stations, prisons and offices of the Independent National Electoral Commission, especially in the South-East would be treated in the language they understand. The president had also said those plotting the downfall of his administration will soon get the shock of their lives.
”Many of those misbehaving today are too young to be aware of the destruction and loss of lives that occurred during the Nigerian Civil War. Those of us in the fields for 30 months, who went through the war, will treat them in the language they understand.”Buhari had tweeted.
There was however a massive outrage on Twitter as many users accused the president of threatening a section of the country.
They also asked Twitter to suspend the president account, whom they accused of bias.
Twitter then pin-point one of the tweets, saying it violates its rules. Reacting to the development, the Minister of Information and Culture accused Twitter of a double standard.
Mohammed said the social media giant had conveniently ignored inciting tweets by Nnamdi Kanu, the leader of the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) and his cohorts.
He said Twitter ignored Kalu’s remarks that encouraged the killing of Police personnel and the show of similar biases during the ENDSARS protest where government and private properties were looted and set on fire, considering it human rights.
Mohammed, who wondered why the organisation now found President Buhari’s tweet offensive, said Twitter’s role is suspicious and Nigeria will not be fooled
The Nigerian government announced the suspension of the popular microblogging site from Nigeria, citing activities that threatens the country’s corporate existence on the platform.