Times have changed as certain things have evolved. From the crude period of stone age to the modernized 21st century which has a lot of advances placed on the shoulders of technology. The fast developmental evolution of computer mobiles have sky rocketed during the modern era ensuring that different sector could survive without much manpower as was the case centuries ago.
The term industrialization has remarkably taken over most of the work spaces for human capabilities thereby inducing scarcity of work opportunity alll around. Take the Automatic Teller Machine (ATM) for example, this digital device made it easier for lot of people to withdraw cash accurately unlike when it was done manually by bank staff. Nevertheless with the introduction of the machine, most Bank had to lay off some of their staff.
As regards to this evolution, it is no longer sufficient in this modern world to roam about the street with zero skills. Infact, skill acquisition have been included in the educational curriculum as it seemed right that every student should be rightly guided towards acquiring a tangible skill that would solve people’s problem hence empowering every youth through entrepreneurship skills.
There are a lot of skills to be talked about, but as regards this article, we shall be discussing the top ten out of the numerous. It doesn’t necessarily mean that everyone should adapt to the top ten, most times people choose their natural abilities and perfect them like a skill. Therefore, most times it depends on individual differences. One very interesting thing about skill acquisitions is that anyone could possibly learn/acquire them. It seeks for no additional educational background before one could venture into it. Once the willingness or the passion to learn is there, one could do the magical transformation. Below are list of the top ten skills for youth empowerment.
1. Copywriting: This requires no pre knowledge or approval before one could be a copywriter. Also, no form of industrialization could hinder this very skill infact the increase in the number of companies would require the duel services of a copywriter likewise new products would equally requires the attention of a copywriter’s service.
2. Critical thinking: As absolete as it may sound, critical thinking is no small skill. Critical thinkers make use of logic and scientific theories to cross check problems and come up with a suitable solution and or prediction. These set of people create massive inventions from well seived ideas hence critical thinking happens to be one of the most important skill used in analyzing problems and giving off concrete conclusive decisions. In essence, critical thinkers manuevr creative ideas for industrialization evolution.
3. People Management: Yes, this is definitely a skill anyone should have. People are complicated being as well as fragile and when not handled or managed properly could lead to a disastrous scenery. No company would soar higher without the organization of a competent manager as well, no manger could carry out the company’s duties alone without the unity of his staff. People Management is an essential life coping skill that’s important for the growth of people based affairs.
4. Time Management: The popular phrase “Time is money” is very much essential in this modern age. No one loves Procrastination. Procrastination is what most people who lack the essential skills of time management does. Managing time starts from self discipline then elvolving into voluntary habit. Time management is very essential for the success of any organization. No client wants to be taken as a joke.
5. Artificial intelligence: This skill no doubt requires a strong computer literate background. With the increase of companies, the skill of Artificial intelligence known for short as AI equally increases.
6. Communication Skill: As simple as it sounds, there’s a lot more attached to this particular skill. Man is a communicative being which uses audio, visual and both simultaneously for interaction. Communication skill is a life saving skill. It could warrant a positive result or a negative result hence the very need to attain a certain level of profession in the skill. Communication could either be body language, signals, speech which includes several languages and other locally known method of passing information. The use persuasive, constant, engaging and content contained communication could drive home a message perfectly. In the other hand, an ambiguous anonymous communicative means could be a bad signal and could be the end of a dream project. Ever wondered why companies spend thousands of money in radio and television stations, billboards, popular sites, shows for advertisement. Exactly! That’s the power of a good communication skill.
7. Artistic Skill: This type of skill is broad making it a competent skill for youth empowerment. Artistic Skill encompasses a lot of other sub skills which includes:
Drawings/Sculpture and painting
8. Intellectual skill: This is the base of other empowerment skills. It the framework that guides the implementation of critical thinking skills. In other words it is the “foundation” of other skills without which humans could not process or initiate a willingness to foster any of the above mentioned skills. Some factors that could enhance the intellectual skill are:
Environment: Certain environment would either increase ones intellect ability or decrease it. In Nigeria, the rural and the urban areas offers different environmental growth to individuals likewise tribes and regions.
Health: the state of health of individuals equally have a huge role to play here. Individuals with high IQ (Intelligent Quotient) are likely to have a maximum intellectual skill. Also, health factors like generic diseases/infections like Down Syndrome could possibly limit the intellect faculty of an individual.
Opportunity: Little or no opportunity at all have rendered individual with high intellect useless and hopeless.
Qualified influencer: It could be parents, guidance, spiritual directors, peers or school teachers. The amount of knowledge one received from these influencers would have a huge impact in their intellect and reasoning skill.
Learner’s ability: lastly, ones ability to retain information is the overalll factor that determines an individual intellectual skill.
9. Entrepreneurial skill: for the purpose of more job creation, entrepreneurship skill is among the to-do list of an aspiring youth seeking for empowerment. This entrepreneurship skill sites majorly on the ability to sort out gaps or wants in the labour market, then in essence find a tangible solution to these problems. Entrepreneur skill is very essential because instead of relying on job opportunities, one creates an opportunity for others.
10. IT Skill: As a result of the modern computerized age, it is required that everyone perfects in IT Skill. Information could easily be reached globally with the use of mobile phone, television, radio, social media and emails instead of the usual local methods. The skillful involvement of Information and Technology could enhance ones business by reaching out to multiple people all over the world.