On Saturday, approved the appointment of a pastor with the Redeemed Christian Church of God, Prince Afolabi Ghandi Olaoye, as the new Soun of Ogbomosoland after the long-drawn processes.
The stool became vacant after the demise of Oba Jimoh Oyewumi Ajagungbade III, in December 2021, at the age of 95 years after he reigned for 48 years.
In a statement issued by the Commissioner for Local Government and Chieftaincy Matters, Olusegun Olayiwola, Makinde said the announcement followed the long-drawn processes specified under the law.
Below are some things to know about him:
1. Prince Ghandi was born on August 23rd 1961, and he is married with two children. He is a Pastor at the Redeemed Christian Church of God (RCCG).
2. He had promised, during the selection and interview exercise, to embrace the three religion namely: Traditional, Christianity and Islam.
3. Prince Ghandi was born to the royal family of Olaoye, one of the 5 royal families alongside the Oyewunmis and Ajagunlades in Ogbomoso.
4. Ghandi also called “Pastor G” has been pastoring for over 30 years; starting from 1992 when he began his pastoral duties at the RCCG.
5. Prince Ghandi had pastored 3 RCCG churches in Nigeria before migrating to Germany where he oversaw another RCCG Parish in Bonn.
6. He graduated in 1982 from Obafemi Awolowo University in Nigeria (formerly known as University of Ife) with a BA Honors in English and Literary Studies; he holds a Masters degree (MILR) in Industrial and Labor Relations with emphasis on Human Resource Management from Nigerias premiere University, University of Ibadan (1987).
7. Ghandi had served on the Board of National Council on Privatization (NCP) which is also the Board of Bureau of Public Enterprise (B.P.E) (2017-2021)
8. Ghandi is a member of the Board of Trustees of Strategy for Mentoring Initiative & Leadership Empowerment (S.M.I.L.E), a young entrepreneurship for development and a non-profit organization.
9. He is the CEO of Peculiar People Management (PPM) and GihonRiv Limited, which are Management and Human Resource Consulting Companies based in Lagos, Nigeria and Dallas, USA.
10. Planned to retire at 60. After spending half of his adult life pastoring, Pastor Afolabi Ghandi said he had planned to retire to simple life at 60 before the big twist happened.