The developer of the collapsed three-storey building which was under construction at No. 16 Akanbi Crescent, Onike Area, Lagos, has been arrested by the Lagos State Government.
Recall that the three-storey building collapsed in the Yaba area on Saturday, DAILY GIST reports
At least four bodies have been recovered from the rubble, according to the National Emergency Management Agency.
It was gathered that the death toll had increased to four by Sunday morning
A statement issued by the State Commissioner for Physical Planning and Urban Development, Dr Idris Salako, said “the government moved in swiftly to minimize impact at the site around 3.30pm on Saturday.
”Preliminary findings indicated that the site had been sealed off twice by the Lagos State Building Control Agency in 2021 for non-compliance with building regulations, after which the site was abandoned.
“However, the developer later broke the government seal, sneaked into the site and recommenced construction without official authorisation.
“As at 9:00pm, one person had been pulled out alive, while two deaths were recorded.
“The developer in charge of the site has since been arrested and handed over to the police, while rescue operation is ongoing,” he said.
It would be recalled that a similar incident, in the Ikoyi area of Lagos, led to the death of at least 40 people last November.