The Lagos State government on Wednesday has closed the sexual assault allegation case levelled against Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju James, popularly known as Baba Ijesha.
The development was disclosed by Mrs Olayinka Adeyemi, the Lagos State Director of the Directorate of Public Prosecution (DPP) on Wednesday after the cross-examination of the sixth prosecution witness by the defence.
The prosecution has closed its case against the defendant,” the DPP said.
Following the DPP’s statement, the defence counsel, Mr Kayode Olabiran, announced to the court that the defence intended to file a no-case submission.
Justice Oluwatoyin Taiwo said: “We will take the no-case submission in the New Year; the court is rounding up.”
DAILY GIST reported that the court had earlier ruled Baba Ijesha’s confessional statement relevant and admissible
Recall that Baba Ijesha, had made a U-turn, disowning the confessional statement attributed to him in the charge bordering on sexual offences levelled against him.
Baba Ijesha noted that he was forced to sign the statement after thugs beat and tortured him to admit to the said offence.
He said he was beaten with a stick, forced to sit on the floor and sign the statement.
He also claimed that everything in the statement was dictated to the police by the complainant, Ms Damilola Adekola, otherwise known as Princess, a comedienne.
He was led in evidence by one of his counsel, Dada Awosika, SAN, during the trial-within-trial.
But on Wednesday, Justice oluwatoyin Taiwo of the Sexual Offences Court In Ikeja, Lagos on Wednesday rejected the claims by Nollywood actor, Olanrewaju James alias Baba Ijesha that he was tortured while making a confessional statement to the police.
Baba Ijesha is facing a six-count charge bordering on allegations of indecent treatment of a child, sexual assault, attempted sexual assault by penetration and sexual assault by penetration.
He has pleaded not guilty to the six-count charge.