The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have made a u-turn on their planned nationwide strike slated for Wednesday.
The uinon stated that they have extended their strike ultimatum it earlier issued the federal government for two more weeks, following consultations with their affiliate unions over the cash crunch policy.
Recall that NLC had directed public sector workers in the country to embark on nationwide strike over the unavailability of naira notes in the country
However, the two Labour bodies on Tuesday said they have suspended the planned strike while they monitor the availability of cash in commercial banks for two weeks before deciding on the next line of action.
Presidents of NLC, Joe Ajaero and TUC Festus Osifo nade this known during a joint press conference on Tuesday in Abuja at the end of their National Executive Council meetings.
Ajaero said after receiving briefings from its State councils in the 36 States and the Federal Capital Territory, the NLC decided to defer the planned stay-at-home directive issued to workers last week.
He said the NLC would resume the planned protest if naira notes become unavailable to Nigerians by the end of the two weeks.
The NLC president said a committee has been set up to monitor situations in banks and report to it at the end of the two weeks extension.
Leave a Reply