Presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, has denied receiving any letter of apology from the British government over his detention by immigration officials at Heathrow Airport in London.
The party earlier on its official website stated that the UK government has begged Peter Obi over his detention in the country.
This was corroborated by the spokesperson of the Atiku Abubakar presidential campaign, Daniel Bwala, who also said the British government apologised to Labour Party presidential candidate, Peter Obi, over his detention at Heathrow Airport.
However, Obi denyng the report through the Head, Media and Communications of the Obi-Datti Presidential Campaign Council, Diran Onifade said the UK government hasn’t issued any official apology.
A statement by Onifade reads, “We have been receiving enquiries with regards to a so called apology, purportedly issued by the British Government or any of its agencies, to our Principal Mr Peter Obi, in respect of a routine Immigration engagement with him, as he arrived London, for a brief visit, last Friday, the 7th of April.
We would like to state emphatically that we are not aware of any such apology, and have not issued any statement whatsoever, in that regard.
“While we continue to examine any dubious or political motive, on the part of the perpetrators of the identity theft,
“We have every confidence in the ability of the British authorities to resolve the matter, to conclusion.
“Peter Obi and the LP/PCC have since moved on from the incident and continue to be totally focused;
“…on the legal processes before the Election Petition Tribunal towards the recovery of our mandate, which we are firmly convinced, was overwhelmingly expressed by voters, in the Presidential election of February 25th.”