Before graduating from Senior Secondary School, most of us heard a lot of tales about JAMB. We heard things like “JAMB is the hardest examination so far” and many other fallacious stories about this one in a life time examination. I call those stories fallacy because there is no proof whatsoever that affirms to those tremendous tales as regards JAMB. It is evident that these stories have been manipulated by Jambites who took JAMB causally and ended up resitting for jamb as many times hence the name “JAMBITES”
A lot of undue pressure, fear and depression has been indirectly inculcated in the minds of young school leavers whose wish it is to further their education. The easy adaptation of responding an unusual question with “JAMB question” has equally raised the banner of JAMB toughest even high.
Anyways, I’m not here to add more salt to the already sweetened tales concerning Jamb being the most “difficult” examination therein rather this article is an eye opener for those that truly seek to understand JAMB and how to go about the examination come 2021.
Speaking of the “most difficult” examination, Secondary school leavers and or some undergraduates who are yet to face their professional exams in schools yet couldn’t possibly conclude that JAMB is the “Most toughest” examination in history. They possibly haven’t it all to conclude just yet.
For one to score high in JAMB or any examination at all, there is usually no miracle. The ideal remains GIGO (garbage in garbage out) that is “you reap what you sow” practically. Now allow me to guide you through these practical steps that would yield you a high score in the upcoming 2021 JAMB examination.
Before I proceed, it is necessary to remind us that JAMB is like any other examination. Aside the fact that it is a CBT based examination (as most examinations in tertiary institutions) there’s no major difference as regards to other examinations. So, it’s best you take JAMB as serious as WAEC/NECO or any other examination you have taken part in.
Below are the following steps you can take to score high mark in UTME exam;
1. THE TIME IS NOW!: It’s so sad that young school leavers wave off reading immediately after their WEAC/NECO examination only to start reading for JAMB two or three days before. That’s a very wrong step. There is every need for preparing ahead early. The early bird, they say, catches the worm! It’s never too early to start reading. Infact when you read early, it gives one more room to slow down and start again without breaking down.
2. SOLVE PAST QUESTION: The second wrong step most Jambites make is reading randomly for JAMB examination. I strongly believe that no knowledge is a waste, but it would surely be a waste if you don’t study for JAMB examination with previous JAMB questions. Past questions are the ultimate guide to get familiar with likely questions. So, you see it’s not all about burning the mid night candle it’s equally about channeling your energy to the right direction. Studying with jamb past questions in preparation for JAMB is a head start already. Endeavour to get a copy of your school of choice JAMB past questions and start reading!
3. DRAFT A TIMETABLE: As archaic as it might sound, making use of a personal timetable is the right energy for anyone preparing for JAMB. The point is not just to have a drafted timetable, the point is to efficiently make use of a personal timetable for studies. Timetables are soft reminders of what to study, and when to study. It organises ones study habit and equally helps one keep
record of progresses made. A good personal timetable should contain all the JAMB subjects and topics as stipulated by JAMB syllables of that year.
4. DO NOT CRAMME: Cramming is simply playing with fire with the hope of not getting burnt. As easy as it seems, cramming is as good as not reading. Not starting on early enough is the very reason most people resort to cramming since they have few days left and lots of things to cover. Preparing on time for JAMB examination will give one ample time to study for understanding. Why waste time cramming when you could easily understand and memorize topics and retain the knowledge for as long.
Cramming is usually stored in our short term memory which means that, most of what we crammed could be easily forgotten. In other words, cramming does not guarantee recurrence and that’s the very reason cramming is a “No No” for anyone seriously preparing for JAMB examination.
5. GROUP READING: This is yet another excellent decision for studying. Although, this could be a mess or a terrible disaster when you study with uninterested/less enthusiastic people. They would simply mare your goals and sooner than later you’ll find yourself being uninterested like them. So, it’s very necessary you study with like minded people. Discussion and teaching in groups will foster and aid knowledge retention. There is no room for cramming in group reading because everyone would love to understand each concept totally without bias. Acronyms and jokes are basic unit for storing information hence, if one should forget, one could easily get back on track as opposed to cramming.
6. BE UPDATED: You would simply agree with me that there’s no need being extra ready for the examination and then finally missing out during the D-day. Everyone that is preparing for JAMB examination should make sure to be well updated. Do not allow reading to take most of your time (that’s why you need a personal timetable) Constantly log into the school website or any news blog for updated information. Make friends with undergraduate students in your school of choice, equally join “fresher’s” groups of the school of your choice. These connections would save one from the sad tale of missing out on the examination day.
Finally, it is important to know ones abilities and where to update. Speed and accuracy is very necessary for CBT exams. How fast are you in answering logical questions? Regardless of speed, there’s no use rushing over ones work during examination. Always take a minimum amount of time in a question. Do not conclude easily, do not rush. Find a balance between your speed and your accuracy as they are both necessary for a successful examination. Inaccuracy could make one choose wrongly whereas he actually knows the right option!