There are lots of students who are actually confused on which course to choose as they are about to seek admission into the tertiary institution and the university to be precise. Are you among those folks who just finished writing West African senior school certificate examination? Or do you want to further your study but you’re just clueless about which course to take? The best advice is here: go for the best. Going for the best course will help give you fulfillment and open you up to opportunities faster.
The truth is that there is shortage of jobs in the country and a lot of graduates are roaming the street. Giving your best shot to any of these best courses will position you well for employment and personal development.
The top 10 Best courses to study in Nigerian universities as compiled by DAILY GIST are:
1. Medicine and Surgery: This is one of the best courses in most Nigerian universities. Those who graduate from its special school called college of medicine are highly respected and sought-after because it’s not a no mean feat spending six year studying a particular course of such caliber. It’s infact the course with the highest duration in the university. This is because it requires attentive to details and real expertise. People who graduate from medicine and Surgery are licensed to do operation and handle people’s lives with care. It’s that license that protects them from intimidation and court cases in the case of accidental deaths or minor errors. It must be established that medical doctors have higher employment potential because people are always having one sickness or the other. Doctors are the people who prescribe medicine and help treat sick people. They also render medical advice to patients. If you have credit pass in five subjects including English, mathematics, Biology, Chemistry and Physics and you have passion for patients, then medicine and Surgery is the best for you.
2. Pharmacy: This talks about the prescription and dispensation of drugs. Students of pharmacy also study how drugs are produced and its side effects. In most universities, pharmacy is in its own faculty called the faculty of pharmaceutical studies together with other related departments. Graduates of pharmacy can work in any drug drugs and can prescribe drugs that can cure the ailments of patients if they want to but the drugs must be registered by NAFDAC. Students who may want to study this course should be excellent in all the core science subjects.
3. Law: This is another wonderful course anyone can do in the university. Law is a professional course and the students exhibit high sense of discipline especially with their black and white dress code. People who read law in the higher institution can work as solicitors, advocates, barristers, legal advisers and consultants. Law is differentiated into different categories. There are the public/private law, criminal law, maritime law etc. People who read law have high chance of getting employment opportunities. They can work in a law firm or companies as legal advisers. People who graduate from the university are awarded LLB and when they have gone to law school and served in the NYSC could then regarded be as barristers and solicitors of the supreme court of the federal republic of Nigeria. At this level, they can defend anybody in court as prosecution counsel or defense counsel.
4: Computer science: This is another lucrative course anyone can do as far as he/she passes Jamb and the Post-UTME of the university. Computer science is a very good course because we are in a computer age and people with degrees in computer or any related course will soon be in high demand as their services will be needed continuously in any computer-related problem. Anyone who is interested in studying computer science should be good in the three core science subjects and mathematics.
5. Nursing science: This course is one of the best because most hospitals and health centers are understaffed and there is a growing need to provide adequate attention to patients at all times. Anyone who is a graduate of nursing science will easily get job in the country and even in foreign countries where there is short supply of nurses. So, if you are proficient in science subjects and you can take care of sick people, you should give studying nursing science in the university a good thought.
6. Accountancy: This is another good course for those good in commercial arts in their secondary school classes. Accountancy is also very good for those who have the ambition of working in a bank or any financial institutions. Someone who graduates from the department of accountancy can also work as a consultant or chartered accountant. An accountant can also work as financial advisers to cooperate bodies or individuals. Accountants are people who are trained to prepare accounts and balance transactions. People who want to go into accountancy should be attentive to details in order to avoid costly mistakes.
7. Mass Communication: This is one of the best courses in the university. A graduate of mass Communication can be a broadcaster, reporter, journalist, Tv presenter etc. It requires a credit pass in five arts subjects including English language and mathematics with one science subject, biology preferably. Mass Communication is a social science course and studies the entire framework of communication that exist between the sender and the receiver through the channels of communication. People who study mass Communication act as gatekeepers of information that goes in and out of the mass media. They try to reduce fake news through fact checking and use of research and sources. People who study mass Communication can also work as Media aide to top government officials and reputable companies. The graduates of mass Communication can also work as public relations manager as they can use their communication skills to establish strategic mutual relationship between a company and its publics.
8. Civil engineering: This is almost the best course in the faculty of engineering. Anyone who have the ambition of becoming an engineer that will construct roads and other projects for individuals and the government should consider this course. People who graduate from this course can join any construction firm or become a consultant on their own. Anybody looking at studying this course should be good in mathematics and other science subjects as the course is made up of calculations and basic construction.
9. Electrical Engineering: This course deals with electrical works. Due to the fact that people are afraid of electrocution, the services of an electrical engineer will always be needed. Electrical engineers can work in power holding companies or they can become independent body, doing electrical wiring and maintenance for people.
10. Architecture: Architecture is one of the best courses in the universities and considered a premium course by many in Nigeria today.
Architecture as a profession guarantees flexibility because you get to control you working hours, you can work for a company while also working for yourself. Plus, it’s among the busy industry that is not controlled by any season.
An architect will most likely survive in the labour market remaining self-employed than a lot of other professions
Leave a Reply