Due to the fact that the economic situation of the country is going from bad to worse, it’s instructive for anyone who is schooling to finds ways to make money in this country. It’s not right to depend solely on your parents or sponsors. Wisdom demands that you find a way to supplement your income and stay afloat financially in this country. It’s not a new thing to hear that some students make their first one million while in school. You too can join in the league of millionaires if you can find ways to make money as a student in Nigeria either online and offline.
In no particular order, DAILY GIST brings you 15 suggested ways to make money as a student
1. Selling data and airtime: This is one of the easiest ways to make money as a student in this twenty-first century. This is because it’s solving a need continuously. Students in hostels and classrooms will always need data and airtime to sort out their communication needs. People will always want to come online to get information and stay updated. People will always want to make calls and connect with their loved ones. This is what makes the business of selling data and airtime a good way of making money both online and offline.
2. Blogging: This is another good business any student can do and be making money on a steady level. The student will need an internet connection and good knowledge of a particular subject matter. This is why it’s good to have a niche as a blogger. There are so many niches that one can focus on as a blogger. They include: Fashion, news, celebrity, sports, games, entertainment etc. A blogger will have to generate traffic by posting contents that will capture the attention of the audience because that’s how he’s going to make money.
3. Tutorial sessions: The fact that you know something better when you teach it lends credence to this aspect of tutoring other people. However, it’s not always good to teach people for free all the time. You can make money from what you know. You can teach what you know. The truth is that there is something you do effortlessly. There is something you do with ease. There are things which are your passion. The bottom line is actually passing on the message. Do not die with what you know. Make money out of it. One way to make money out of it is by organizing tutorial sessions for people with a fee or token attached to it. The training can be online or offline. It can take place in WhatsApp, telegram, google meet, zoom etc. It can even take place in a physical setting in a classroom, conference room or event center. You can choose any location of your choice as far as it’s convenient for the attendees.
4. Content writing: This is a type of writing whereby you write for blogs, news outlets, private individuals etc. Content writing is most time, a creative way of presenting an idea or marketing a product. It has a way of generating leads and turning audience to customers that will buy like crazy. Content writing is good for anyone who is talented in writing and who wants to sharpen his creative skill. It’s a good way of making money as a student both online and offline.
5. Publish a book: If you have the talent and you are creative enough, the best thing for you is to write a book and publish it. You can publish it online on Amazon, Okadabooks etc or you can go to any publishing company and print the hard copies. What is most important is having a book to your name. It gives you an edge among your mates. It makes you an authority in that field or particular niche. It also sells your ideas to the outside world. Publishing your book and selling them is a good way of making money both online and offline as a student.
6. Selling clothes: You can also make money selling already-made clothes to students in the school. If you are good in fashion designing, it’s now an added advantage. You can also sell already used clothes popularly known as Okrika. It’s important to make the prices cheap and affordable so that the students can rush it very well. Students will always wear clothes to lectures, occasion, church, meetings etc. Therefore, it’s important to meet their clothing needs as much as you can.
7. Transcription: This talks about the translation of spoken word into writing. Most very important personalities in the society don’t have the strength and time to write. So, they would always want someone who can change everything they are saying into written format. Sometimes, they will record their thoughts and ideas as voice notes or in audio format and send it to the person who has the patience and skill to transcribe the words into writing. This is where the students can make lots money from.
8. Event planning and confectionery: If you have good organizational skills, this is where you can make money as a student. Many people are holding birthday parties, weddings, funerals etc. They would always want somebody who can plan and organize it to their taste and to fit their budget. They would always want cakes and other small chops to go as part of the events.
9. Copywriting: This is a high income skill that’s high in demand today. It’s also one major way the student can make money from online. One good thing about copywriting is that you can work from home. It’s all about generating copies that sell like crazy.
10. Trade crypto and giftcards: Trading cryptocurrency and giftcards is one way to make money online as a student. There are many cryptocurrencies which are Bitcoin, Ethereum, Tatcoin etc. It’s important to study them and how they work before giving it a hard shot.
11. Affiliate marketing: This is selling products of a company to a customer and receiving commission. It’s a good way to make money because you are connecting the customer with the needed products of a company.
12. Online registration: This could come in the form of helping people register Jamb, Post-UTME, exams etc.
13. Graphic design: This is a digital skill that requires the knowledge of using Corel draw or other applications to give a creative visual effects.
14. YouTube channel: Starting your own YouTube channel is a good way of making money through the subscription that comes with it. It will also establish you as an authority in your field and make you popular.
15. Editing and proofreading: Editing is a process of eliminating errors or unwanted materials from a work. While proofreading is a process of checking mechanical accuracy and consistency of a work. It’s a good way to make money as a student.