Kaduna State Governor, Nasir El-Rufai has finally revealed why he ‘secretly’ withdrew his seven-year-old son, Abubakar Al-Sadiq El-Rufai, from public school in the state.
It was gathered that El-Rufai had quietly withdrawn his son, Abubakar Al-Sadiq from Kaduna Capital School, less than two years after the boy’s enrolment in the public school.
El-Rufai staged what was then suspected to be a “political and media stunt” when he, along with his wife Ummi, took the boy to the school.
Schools in Kaduna were shut during the COVID-19 lockdown last year. But when the schools re-opened Abubakar Sadiq El-Rufai has been reportedly missing.
We used to see him when he was newly enrolled in the school, but we no longer saw him after the COVID-19 lockdown was lifted late last year and we don’t know why,” a teacher in the school reportedly said.
The controversial governor had keep mum om why he made the decision.
However, in an interview with BBC Pidgin on Saturday, El-Rufai has disclosed why he secretly withdrawn his son from the school
El-Rufai said his son had been targeted by bandits because of the governor’s public stand against the payment of ransom.
In the interview, El-Rufai said it was the first time that he would address the issue.
He added that his daughter, Nesrin, was also enrolled in the school when she turned six.
He said even though there was no threat to Nesrin, both children were removed from the school on the advice of security agencies.
“My son and my daughter are registered in the school because his sister became six and we had to register her.
“But we have had to temporarily withdraw them for the security of the school because we got intercepts from at least two groups that are planning to attack the school to kidnap my son.
“I don’t think they will succeed because there will be enough security there to prevent it but other children may be placed in danger.
“We have no idea what weapons they will come with. I have taken a stand against paying bandits and at least three groups of bandits have been intercepted planning to go to Kaduna Capital school and kidnap my son and ‘see if they catch my son, I go say I no go pay ransom?’” the governor said.
He assured that his decision was purely based on the safety of other children in the school, adding that he had enrolled his son in the school to prove to the people of Kaduna State that he had enough confidence in the public-school system and stressed that he intends to keep the promise.