Mysterious fire reportedly has reportedly gutted the United Bank for Africa, UBA, situated at Onitsha Main market on Friday.
It was gathered that two people who were trapped when the fire started were rescued by a police team and others who rushed to the bank.
Reports stated not much damage was done to the bank as the building was not torched outside but the bank hall and some rooms were torched.
There were two versions as to the cause of the incident that paralysed business activities of the bank for the day.
According to a staff of the bank who speak on the incident, “the fire emanated from heat in the generator inside the bank”
“This made customers to scamper for safety and on the process some of the glass windows and doors got broken.”
According to report, it may not be unconnected with faulty cables connected to the generator that sparked fire in the bank.
Two people trapped in the bank that were rescued and others that sustained various degrees of minor injuries were said to have been rushed to nearby hospitals for medical attention.
Confirming the incident, the State Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, DSP. Tochukwu Ikenga said that, “preliminary information reveals that the fire incident emanated from heat in the generator inside the bank”.
“The fire has been put off and the situation has been monitored. Further details shall be communicated,” he said.