DAILY GIST had earlier reported that the federal government said it has commenced the partial payment of 774,000 jobs beneficiaries under its special public works (SPW) programme.
The minister of state, labour and employment, Festus Keyamo disclosed this in a press statement released via his Twitter handle.
However, hours after the announcement of the payment stipends by the minister, the beneficiaries faulted Keyamo’s claim.
Keyamo in a statement during the weekend had said: “After the release of some of the funds by the Ministry of Finance for the payment of SPW stipends, I directed a rigorous scrutiny of the accounts of the participants before payments.
“We discovered instances of accounts not matching BVNs, multiple accounts bearing a single BVN, non-existent BVNs, etc.
“Because of our determination to eliminate fraud, I further directed the NDE to write to the banks to clean up these anomalies b4 commencing payments.
“So far, only ACCESS Bank has responded with accounts verified for payments and the NDE has today commenced payments of those accounts with ACCESS Bank.
“We await the responses of ZENITH, UBA, FCMB, FIDELITY, HERITAGE & Yobe Micro-Finance Banks to clean up the anomalies.
“Our determination to ensure those selected for this programme get paid to assist them in these tough times is also matched by our determination to ensure that the programme does not spiral into a vehicle for fraud; not under the watch of Mr. President; not under my watch.”The minister added.
But hours after the minister’s announcement, some of the beneficiaries said they were yet to receive payment.
A Twitter user, @AminuAb89137498 said: “I am using Access Bank still no payment yet comment but my details was verified. Best wishes.”
“I am using access bank but haven’t received alert. Have anyone apart from using Access Bank receive alert? If yes, indicate,” @Sssalisu_sule asked.
Another user with the Twitter handle, @SmplyTari wrote: “We have not seen alert oh.”
A tweep, @doyins_adedoyin tweeted: “@fkeyamo an scam we never see anything in Kwara state.”
Another Twitter user @ SamObi64907443, tweeted: “Am a participant, I had yet to receive any money since I got enrolled I had yet to receive anything. I am from Imo.”
“Commenced payment and nobody has received alert. Ok oo,” @Ataborjulius tweeted.
Replying to the beneficiaries claim shortly after, Keyamo however share some payment proofs from Access Bank
Some ‘credits alerts’ from ACCESS Bank to participants of the Special Public Works Programmes. pic.twitter.com/y0YpN2pPyY
— Festus Keyamo, SAN (@fkeyamo) April 18, 2021
DAILY GIST as at the time of filling report could not authioritavely confirm if other banks have also commenced the payment of beneficiaries