The Osun state gubernatorial primary election of the All Progressives Congress (APC) is scheduled to hold today, Saturday, February 19, 2022.
Attempts to resolve the crisis and reconciliation moves to make Governor Gboyega Oyetola the consensus candidate of the party were futile as other aspirants insisted that they must be allowed to contest in a free and fair election.
Eventhough the jostle for the party’s ticket is between three politicians namely, former deputy speaker of the House of Representatives, Rt. Hon. Lasun Yusuf, former SSG and 2018 candidate of Action Democratic Party (ADP), Moshood Adeoti and the incumbent governor of the state, Adegboyega Oyetola but the main contest is dominantly between loyalists of Governor Gboyega Oyetola and Aregbesola’s loyalists who are working assiduously for Moshood Adeoti.
Findings revealed that a former deputy speaker of the House of Representatives, Lasun Yusuf has been technically fizzled out of the contest after Aregbesola’s loyalists picked Moshood Adeoti as the choice of the group.
It was gathered that Lasun Yusuff, a native of Ilobu was fizzled out because he shares same senatorial district with Governor Gboyega Oyetola while Adeoti is from Osun West Senatorial District.
Here are 12 things you probably do not know about the Osun APC guber primary.
1) Kwara State Governor, AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq is the chairman of the committee sent by the Caretaker/Extraordinary Convention Planning Committee (CECPC) of the party to supervise the primary election.
2) Senator Julius Ucha is the Secretary of the committee. Other members of the committee are Senator Ibrahim Yahaya Oloriegbe, Hon. Abdulkarim Abdulraman, Hon. Wale Raji, Mrs. Yetunde Imolehin and Mr. Ofonmbuk Okon Bassey.
3) The three aspirants in the race for party’s ticket are Rt. Hon. Lasun Yusuff, Alhaji Moshood Adeoti and Governor Adegboyega Oyetola.
4) Loyalists of a former governor in the state, Rauf Aregbesola have agreed to participate in the contest and gladly accept the results of the primary election if it is free and fair.
5) More than 30 trucks filled with security operatives from agencies such as Department of State Services, Nigeria Police Force, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps were brought into the state on Friday, February 18.
by TaboolaSponsored LinksYou May Like
Who is the real Jesus who set foot on our planet and claimed to be God?
6) The Osun Progressives better known as TOP have also agreed to work towards the victory of Aregbesola’s aide, Moshood Adeoti while Rt. Hon. Lasun Yusuf will contest as an independent aspirant.
7) Moshood Adeoti is banking on the support of the Minister of Interior and former governor of the state, Rauf Aregbesola and a faction of the ruling APC in the state under the chairmanship of Hon Rasaq Salinsile.
8) Gboyega Oyetola is banking on the support of the national leader of APC and relative, Bola Ahmed Tinubu, a former governor of the state, Bisi Akande and a recognised faction of the ruling APC in the state under the chairmanship of Prince Famodun.
9) All aspirants including stakeholders of the ruling party in Osun state agreed that DIRECT PRIMARY should be embarked upon.
10) Senator Iyiola Omisore, 2018 SDP guber candidate, Senator Ajibola Basiru, Senate spokesperson, Osun Assembly Speaker, Timothy Owoeye are strong politicians behind Governor Gboyega Oyetola.
11) Former Speaker of Osun Assembly, Najeem Salam, Chairman of TOP, Lowo Adebiyi, Senator Oriolowo (Osun West Senator) are strong politicians behind Moshood Adeoti.